Thursday, January 20, 2011

Litany of Humility

One thing that has touched me in this second week of preparation for Consecration to Mary has been the praying of the Litany of Humility. In other preparation books I haven't encountered this prayer as part of the preparation.

It has been most helpful in seeing a fault that all people struggle with. The desire to be accepted and to be well thought of by others. It seems at first that this is a good thing but you can see as you pray the Litany of Humility that there is a tendency then to only look for acceptance and affirmation from others instead of the Lord. That doesn't last in life and in the end can leave us always looking for affirmation from others. We base our value in what others think instead of rooted our value in our sonship in Christ.

If we seek to please others by putting our needs second to others it is then we begin to experience the peace and lasting joy that comes from living as God lives and living as Mary lives. The life of self-sacrifice.

So this prayer has opened to me the true spirit of Mary. I am very thankful for that this week.

God bless and pray for the Packers everybody!

1 comment:

ruth said...

This is such an all encompassing prayer... powerful when I pray it slowly. I am also glad that they included.