Monday, January 24, 2011

Week 3, Day 2 - Questions

Today was interesting, but difficult.

Mary will be the only means we will use in going to God . . .

We must never go to our Lord except through Mary . . .

We must never be without her when praying to Jesus . . .

Beware, chosen soul, of thinking that it is more perfect to direct your work and intention straight to Jesus or straight to God. Without Mary, your work and your intention will be of little value . .


I can't help but think that by following today's suggested devotion, I'm eliminating God/Jesus/the Holy Spirit from my daily prayers, thoughts, intentions, sacrifices, petitions. No more direct access? No more "Our Father." No more "Come, Holy Spirit."

Jesus Himself invites us to come to Him: "Come to me, all you who labor and are burdened and I will give you rest." Should I not respond to this directly?

Didn't Jesus die so that we might have direct access to the Father? So that we might become adopted children, heirs to the Kingdom . . . ?

I'm having a little trouble with the absolute nature of the suggested devotion, seemingly excluding God. Yes, the ultimate end is God and communion with Him, and I have no problem praying to and through Mary, but exclusively??

Mary, forgive me, but I'm having trouble understanding this. Please help me.

Is anyone else having trouble with today? Or does anyone have some answers to my questions?

Thanks.

5 comments:

Carol said...

I also get confused. But I had trouble wording it. I look forward to some insight from others. Thanks for wording it so clearly.

Corrine said...

Right away I thought of.....Jesus taught us how to pray....the Our Father. Or when we medidtate on Jesus words & works or his passion, or reconciliation we talk to Jesus. When I read the exclusiveness of praying through Mary only...it made me feel uneasy....kind of like I felt at times before 2005 when some things just didn't feel right..(2005?)at which time our Archbishop cautioned participants being a part of a particular group in the tri-states to part from it. Now, this certainly takes more reflecting...or explanation.

ruth said...

I am researching this and have sent emails out to a couple people. If I get some good replies I will post them.
With that wording I am sure most of us in this day and age struggle with it. I want to better understand this because this is at the center of our consecration.
In my mind, going through this the last time, I took this to mean that at the beginning of my day or activity, I am to ask Mary to purify all my prayers, actions, intentions etc. throughout the day and present them to Jesus through her mediation and purity. Then when I pray to Jesus, etc. I know that Mary is with me to purify and enhance all my prayers, actions and intention. Mary's mother role is what speaks loudest to me.

I look forward to posting more on this as I find it or receive it.
Thanks, Kim, for bringing this up.

ruth said...

We can become too juridical - God is leaning toward us, eager to welcome our conversation with him. de Montort's devotion is VOLUNTARY!

Fr. Doug

(I received this in an email.)

ruth said...

In regards to your email (question). All of the quotes from St. Louis De Montfort's spiritual classic must be taken in context of his whole work, True Devotion to Mary.

The purpose of the Consecration is to give ourselves to JESUS through Mary. Perhaps there is a misconception that we need to be consciously thinking of Our Lady at every moment when speaking to Jesus. This is not necessary. We make an act of the will inviting Mary to intercede for us throughout our pilgrimage of life. We make a permanent decision of asking Mary, as our spiritual mother, to take all of our prayers, works, joys and sufferings and then give them to Jesus.

When the Magi came to worship the Christ Child, they focused on Jesus BUT Mary was there also (Mat. 2:11). We may not be conscious of Our Lady at every moment, but that is okay. I always read St. Louis in the context of his whole work, not just isolated phrases by themselves.

Saints, spiritual writers and even Fr. Corapi have said, "everyone is not called to have this true devotion to Mary. I wish they were." EVEN the great Pope John Paul II had to re-read St. Louis' work before he accepted it interiorly.

IPerhaps the words of Bl. Jacinta may help. She said that the hearts of Jesus and Mary are so close it is hard to separate them. They are together.

God bless you! You are on the right road. The works and words of St. Louis are fully accepted by the Church. We are on solid ground.

Fr. Parker