I am posting this reply to a previous posting here, rather than as a "comment", because I think it is very helpful.
Ruth,
In regards to your email. All of the quotes from St. Louis De Montfort's spiritual classic must be taken in context of his whole work, True Devotion to Mary.
The purpose of the Consecration is to give ourselves to JESUS through Mary. Perhaps there is a misconception that we need to be consciously thinking of Our Lady at every moment when speaking to Jesus. This is not necessary. We make an act of the will inviting Mary to intercede for us throughout our pilgrimage of life. We make a permanent decision of asking Mary, as our spiritual mother, to take all of our prayers, works, joys and sufferings and then give them to Jesus.
When the Magi came to worship the Christ Child, they focused on Jesus BUT Mary was there also (Mat. 2:11). We may not be conscious of Our Lady at every moment, but that is okay. I always read St. Louis in the context of his whole work, not just isolated phrases by themselves.
Saints, spiritual writers and even Fr. Corapi have said, "everyone is not called to have this true devotion to Mary. I wish they were." EVEN the great Pope John Paul II had to re-read St. Louis' work before he accepted it interiorly.
Perhaps the words of Bl. Jacinta may help. She said that the hearts of Jesus and Mary are so close it is hard to separate them. They are together.
God bless you! You are on the right road. The works and words of St. Louis are fully accepted by the Church. We are on solid ground.
Fr. Parker
2 comments:
Ruth: Please tell Fr. Parker thanks from his fan in upstate NY for easing my mind.
Thanks, Fr. Parker. Your explanation really helped.
You wrote: "Perhaps there is a misconception that we need to be consciously thinking of Our Lady at every moment when speaking to Jesus." This is what I thought. I figured since I wasn't in the practice of doing this that I'd forget and "fail" the exercise. I was a little overwhelmed!
You continued: "This is not necessary. We make an act of the will inviting Mary to intercede for us throughout our pilgrimage of life. We make a permanent decision of asking Mary, as our spiritual mother, to take all of our prayers, works, joys and sufferings and then give them to Jesus." This makes sense. When we make an intentional act of the will to invite Mary to intercede, she takes on this role in my life despite the fact that I may not invoke her name each time.
Thanks again!
Post a Comment