Participants of this blog are participating in a five-week preparatory journey before making a total consecration to Jesus with and through Mary. For some this will be a re-consecration. We have found this to be a wonderful opportunity for spiritual growth. ... We journey together and pray for each other.
Wednesday, January 12, 2011
Ruth: Week 1 ... mortification
I don't have my book right now as I lent it to a friend whose book has not arrived yet but Corrine's post reminded me that I wanted to post on the call to prayer and fasting. I am such a wimp when it comes to mortification. Like most people, I think it is a big thing if I give up something one day a week or give up something for Jesus for a period of time. Now I know that Jesus appreciates even our smallest efforts but we are called and capable of so much more. I know that we are not called to live like monks in the desert but we are called so live so much closer to the ideals that Jesus gives us. This emphasis hit me the first time I read our book, it hits me when our pastor talks about it and it hit me again today reflecting on our readings. I am continually reminded of Father's sermon that I mentioned earlier about the Triple Triathlon. We are capable of so much more ...
2 comments:
If you let someone in front of you in traffic, that is a mortification, if you offer it to Jesus.
If you create a brochure for a friend, expending your time and energy, it is a mortification, if you offer it to Jesus. :)
We make sacrifices all the time, we just don't think of them in that vein and forget or neglect to offer them to our Holy God.
Great reminder! Thank you.....
Post a Comment