Tuesday, January 18, 2011

Ruth: Week 2 a few quotes

We have some great readings to help prepare and give us a renewed appreciation for the sacrament of Reconciliation. Some quotes that struck me are:
p. 110 We enter the "tomb" of the confessional and leave our sins and guilt there, emerging as a new person, having put off the "old man" and put on the new." as from Eph. 4:22-23.
p. 113  "If you feel you could do more penance than that which the priest gives you, then tell him so and ask for additional penance."  ......  Have YOU ever done this?  I have wanted to since reading it the first time through but it seems that by the time Father gives the penance, I am focused on the penance and making a good Act of Contrition and I keep forgetting to ask for a harder penance. I had never heard of doing this until reading this book. What is your experience with this?
p. 114 "What are you doing if you are not looking after your own soul?" It is so easy to get busy doing good things, even church things, and caring for ones responsibilities that it is easy to coast through the day with minimial time made for God. Plus the more one goes deeper in the spiritual life the more one yearns to spend more quality time with God.  At first it is a big thing to say daily prayers, then you are called to pray the rosary, then attend daily Mass, then read more scripture and spiritual reading, make consecrations and novena, etc.  The more time we are focused on the Lord the more we yearn for Him and the more we can focus on him in the midst of all the responsibilities of daily life.  ... there is always so much more ...
Mary please help us to stay focused on Jesus and united to Him throughout the day. Let every breath we take give Him praise.
p. 119 reminds us "There a man profits most and merits more abundant grace, wherever he overcomes himself and mortifies the spirit."   The word mortify has been hitting me over the head for years now. I am such a wimp. I am so appreciative of the continues reminder to pray and fast (mortification).
I could go on and on with quotes. There is so much good stuff on every page.  This book can be read over and over and I think you will still find food for the journey.     May Mary lead us all closer to her Son, Jesus.

2 comments:

Corrine said...

I'd not thought of asking for a tougher penance until a couple months ago someone mentioned she does that. But then I forgot about it again. And....the words mortify or fasting really stick out, like they are in bold print, when I read and that is suggested. It is like...oh, no, not that again. I am a real wimp when it comes to mortifying myself. It is usually...I'll start later. The "sly one" wins again.

Carol said...

When we did the Consecration the last time and I did my General Confession, I asked Father to give me a harder penance, but I think he forgot to, and I also forgot to remind him.

Corrine: I have been practicing mortification since the last time I did the Consecration. I removed myself from Facebook because I felt that I was spending far too much time on games. I never really got into to talks back and forth. This time I am forcing myself to eat cooked vegetables. Ruth knows how much I hate them and that this is the real thing for me. Pray that I continue and not give up.